Choosing the perfect wedding dress (or attire) is a big decision, one that goes beyond just checking an item off your wedding planning checklist. Your wedding attire should make you feel great on your big day, and it all starts with embracing your unique personal style. While we may not be at the dress shop with you, we’re here to help you navigate this exciting journey. Here are some essential tips for wedding dress shopping and how to find your wedding dress style so that you find the dress of your dreams!
Think About How You Want to Look
Your wedding dress should resonate with the overall vibe of your wedding. There are various styles to choose from, each conveying a distinct mood. Here are some of the most common wedding dress styles:
- Romantic: Romantic dresses are typically very flowy, feminine, and ethereal. These dresses may have lace or tulle details and usually have some sort of train.
- Classic: Classic dresses may feature strapless necklines, ball gown silhouettes, or high necklines. They avoid trendy elements and steer towards timeless touches like understated embellishments and rich textures.
- Boho: Boho dresses cover a variety of styles, but they normally feature airy fabrics, graphic lace, vintage details, or dramatic sleeves.
- Modern: Modern wedding dresses usually feature a sleek or more tailored silhouette along with cutouts, higher hemlines, sheer panels, and more structured fabrics.
- Glamorous: Glamorous wedding dresses are all about going over-the-top. Featuring sleek silhouettes, glitzy embellishments, and luxe fabrics, these dresses are all about taking it to the next level.
- Non-traditional: Non-traditional dresses cover a wide range of styles including colors other than white, short dresses, jumpsuits, and rompers.
Before you go shopping, take a moment to reflect on your everyday style, as it’s a great starting point. One of our favorite tips for wedding dress shopping is to have a couple of style options in mind that align with your wedding’s atmosphere. That will help make sure your dress complements the wedding’s overall aesthetic.
Photo: Kelsey Diane Photography
Consider How You Want to Move and Feel
While browsing through wedding dress inspiration, it’s crucial to think about how the dress will feel and allow you to move on your special day. You deserve a dress that makes you feel confident, comfortable, and free to dance the night away if that’s your desire.
Another one of our favorite tips for wedding dress shopping is to arrive at your styling appointment with a few silhouette options in mind. What looks fantastic on others might not necessarily make you look and, more importantly, feel amazing. You’ll also want to think about what you want to be able to do on your wedding day. For example, beaded dresses can be quite heavy, which might hinder your ability to dance the night away, something to keep in mind if you’re planning on showing off your dance moves.
Photos: Laura for Rachel Havel Photography
Take an Online Quiz
Wedding dress shopping is not just about the dress; it’s also about discovering your unique style. That’s why we love the idea of taking an online style quiz to help you narrow down your options and get some fresh ideas. There are various quizzes available on the internet, and one of our favorites is The Knot’s quiz. It’s like curating your own wedding dress inspiration board on Pinterest. The Knot’s quiz not only helps you find a style that suits you but also considers your wedding priorities and venue. It’s a fun and interactive way to explore your style from angles you might not have thought of otherwise.
So, there you have it—our top tips for wedding dress shopping and discovering your wedding dress style. Choosing a wedding dress can often be stressful, but these tips can help you narrow down your choices and find the dress (or attire) that makes you feel confident and beautiful. If you’re looking for more wedding planning tips or wedding dress inspiration, check out our other blog posts. And you can always reach out to us if you need help narrowing down your wedding dress style!